Hard water has a high mineral content, specifically calcium and magnesium. It is a common issue in many households and it can cause various problems for your plumbing system, including your drains. Hard water may be the culprit if you’re experiencing slow or clogged drains.
Wolcott Services is a professional plumbing company providing drain cleaning services in Gresham. Our technicians can help you identify the problems causing your clogged drains and provide tips on how to avoid this issue in the future.
In this blog, we’ll explore the impact of hard water on your drains and how to prevent it.
Impact Of Hard Water On Your Drains
Hard water can significantly impact your drains, causing various issues that can lead to costly repairs. Here are some of the effects of hard water on your drains:
- Clogs: The minerals in hard water can build up inside your pipes over time, leading to clogs. These clogs can cause water to back up into your sinks, tubs, and toilets, making it difficult to use them.
- Corrosion: Hard water can cause corrosion inside your pipes, leading to leaks and even burst pipes. Corrosion can damage your water heater and other plumbing appliances, leading to costly repairs.
- Soap Scum: Hard water can create soap scum, which can build up inside your pipes and cause clogs. Soap scum can also damage your fixtures, making them look dull and unclean.
Preventing Hard Water Damage To Your Drains
Fortunately, there are several ways to prevent hard water damage to your drains. Here are some tips to help you keep your drains flowing smoothly:
- Water Softening: Installing a water softener is the most effective way to prevent hard water damage to your drains. A water softener removes the minerals that cause hard water, ensuring that your pipes and plumbing appliances remain free of buildup.
- Regular Cleaning: Regular cleaning of your drains can help prevent clogs and buildup caused by hard water. You can use a natural vinegar and baking soda solution to clean your drains or hire a professional plumber to perform a thorough drain cleaning.
- Use Less Soap: Hard water can make it difficult to get soap to lather, leading to overuse of soap. Using less soap can help prevent soap scum buildup in your drains, reducing the likelihood of clogs.
- Regular Plumbing Maintenance: Regular plumbing maintenance can help prevent hard water damage to your drains. A professional plumber can inspect your pipes and appliances for signs of corrosion or other issues caused by hard water.
Hard water can significantly impact your drains, causing clogs, corrosion, and soap scum buildup. If you’re experiencing issues with your drains, contact Wolcott Services for expert plumbing services today. We offer various plumbing services, including water softener installation and drain cleaning in Hillsboro, OR. Our experienced plumbers can help you keep your drains flowing smoothly and prevent hard water damage to your plumbing system. Contact us today to schedule an appointment and keep your plumbing system in top condition.