With the summer temperature rising to extremes in Portland, Oregon, it is probably a good time to install an air conditioning system in one’s home. While a perfect air conditioner can be a blessing during summer months, the entire benefit depends upon choosing the system and its consequent installation processes.
This article looks into the crucial factors to consider about the ducted air conditioning system and the consequent costs of buying one.
What is a ducted air conditioning system?
A duct air conditioning system uses ducts sent through the wall cavities and the electrical wirings and other materials (called ductwork) from one central location that cools or heats a space through vents in the walls or ceilings.
A duct air conditioner unit saves up the spaces on the floors and the walls that are taken up by a split or a portable air conditioner unit.
The prices vary upon the size and brand chosen. Here is a mini list of the costs expected to be incurred-
- Small home/apartment- $5,000
- Single storey home- $6,000-$10,000
- Two storey-home- $11,000-$14,000+
Why install a duct air conditioner?
- Duct air conditioners are mostly suitable for small spaces that try to avoid overcrowding by furniture or office shelves.
- They are discreet and do not divert attention.
- They are a noiseless way to cool or heat one’s home.
- The air does not directly touch a person, which can cause a cold.
- It is the most effective way of cooling larger spaces.
- They require less maintenance if efficiently installed. If not, one should call for emergency AC repair services in Troutdale, OR.
- They may be costly, but the most efficient cooling and heating systems up to date.
Maintenance and installation
Installation of a ducted air conditioning system requires the installer or the installation company to produce a list of all the vent locations, ductwork lines that pass through the home, the ceiling length and cavity spaces, or furniture obstructs the vents in any way.
Hence, it is best to keep the cost at $500-$3 to complete repairing an old system. A new installation can cost around $2,935-$4,000+, including the flexible non-metals and aluminum, ductwork pipes, sheet metals, duct fans, foil seal tape, duct tape, and vents. Labor charges should amount to $300-$1,000. Around 30-90 feet of ductwork shall be required for the installation process.
Choosing a trusted installation company
Ducted air conditioners are costly and challenging to repair. Hence, selecting a licensed repairing and installation services company is essential. It would be responsible for any further repairing queries and problems related to the entire system in the future.
At Wolcott Services, we have recently added HVAC technicians and electricians after a successful forty-year-old family business in plumbing. Call us at (503) 487-0267 for any AC installation or AC repair in Portland, OR. We are looking forward to making your summers cool again!